The Aims of Caretakers of the
The Steering Group have established a set of aims for the Scottish network. We hope that schools throughout the country, and further afield will find these aims to be interesting and relevant.
Caretakers of the Environment Scotland intends to further the aims of environmental education (see details from UNESCO aims below) by:
- enabling secondary school students and teachers in Scotland to work together on environmental projects / issues / concerns
- having an impact on the curriculum within schools
- promoting positive environmental action within schools
- fostering the appreciation and enjoyment of our natural heritage
The aims of environmental education as set out be UNESCO in 1975 and which are widely accepted throughout the world are as follows. Caretakers of the Environment Scotland is committed to these UNESCO aims.
Environmental education aims:
- to foster clear awareness and concern about economic, social, political and ecological interdependence in urban and rural areas
- to provide every person with opportunities to acquire the knowledge, values, attitudes, commitment and skills needed to protect and improve the environment
- to create new patterns of behaviour of individuals, groups and society as a whole towards the environment.
Click here to return to the home page of Caretakers of the Environment Scotland